Here are some of the more topical decisions that were made this week, although this was a lighter agenda than normal.
1. The Montesorri School in Karnup was passionately debated. The council concerns were mainly around the traffic, safety and fire hazard issues which is why the Council decided not to support the proposal. However this matter will go before the State appeals panel and I firmly believe that the panel will grant approval (this decision was before council again purely as the 2 year period to commence building has lapsed and 2 years ago the State appeals panel approved this) so I am looking forward to proactively working with the school to get all the precautions and conditions addressed. I acknowledged the strong support from the school community for this project and thank those parents who contacted me and also for the principal and board members for their time recently.
2. We endorsed a street on Baldivis road to have paramount studios films and actors. Personally I was hoping for more exciting names for this development at the Paramount estate such as brad pitt lane, or tom cruise boulevard!! End up with examples such as Arlen street, Canyon street, harlow street (google those names for yourself!!)
3. We endorsed the tourism strategy development group which will be comprised of tourism operators, tourism big hitters (and me as deputy councillor!). This committee is being formed purely to provide expert advice into the development of the Rockingham tourism strategy. Those who follow this page will know that the Visitor centre funding will stop in 2 years but also that the City did not previously have a tourism strategy (again you will know my shock and action following that!).
4. The Rockingham model trains group had applied for community grant funding for a feasibility study into a large community type facility where they can have their trains on permanent display, but to have that room as part of a integrated community hub featuring a ‘mens shed’. This $19,480 was approved and will be 50% of the total cost with Lotterywest contributing the rest.
5. $79,000 was given out in community grants tonight and $109,000 in infrastructure grants (examples being $9900 to the Baldivis children’s forest, Camp Kulin, Rockingham Triathalon club receiving over $5000)
6. I had my notice of motion for the review of the planning department, you may remember that I put this up last year and the council believed that this motion would have been illegal. However it was not so I had it before the council again tonight. Basically I asked for a review into the planning department (answer was no), I even asked for the planning department to be featured on the customer satisfaction survey (answer was no). The end result is that there will be no review into the planning department!
For the full agenda head to – http://rockingham.wa.gov.au/getmedia/192497e9-cf82-47d1-b39d-92bcbaf3a1d8/2018-02-(Feb)-Agenda-Council.pdf.aspx